Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Final Reflection

Looking back at my first blog, my understanding on the importance of communication has increased appreciably. Firstly, my view on effective communication then focuses on verbal communication, but I have come to realize the importance of the other two forms of communication, non-verbal and written communication. This is especially true on non verbal communication. I have realized that I am communicating non-verbally 24 hours a day. From the way I carry myself in the day to my sleeping position at night, I have been sending signals to tell others how I am feeling at each point in time. I also understand that people can still make use of non verbal communication to send out signals to mislead others. This is mentioned in my blog on non verbal communication. Therefore I think non verbal communication is a powerful tool depending on the person who wields the tool.

The 3 months in this module has taught me a lot. My first intention to take this module was to set myself some time to write my resume and cover letter on the job that I want to apply. To my benefit, this module encompass a lot more, such as 7Cs in report writing, intercultural behavior, blogging, letter and formal report writing and doing a group project. The part that I enjoyed the most was the process in doing the group project with Ji Fang and Johnny. In the group, everyone had a part to play, and everybody’s suggestions were taken into consideration in order to come up with our final report and presentation. Although each of us has our own grumbles to meet every Saturday morning, all of us dutifully come down on each meeting for our discussion. Through this group project experience, I had a developed a deeper friendship and understanding with them. Also I would like to thank Kenny for my grammar error free blogs. It would be nice to have the established script writer in our team.

The presentation experience was really an eye opener; some of our classmates presented really well and it was a good learning experience which I can used to reflect back on my own presentation skills. Finally, we have come to the last stage of this module which is the cover letter and resume writing plus a mock interview. This is the stage that I have to continue on my own and I hope I can complete them relatively well.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Swee Guan

    It is interesting that you included sleeping position as a form of non verbal communication. I did not realise that. But sleeping position is not within our control. One day I shall see how I sleep. :)

    I learnt a lot from our classmates too and also improve on my presentation skills.

    Good luck to your mock interview tomorrow! :) Have fun in your future endeavors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Swee Guan,

    Wow! Sleeping position as NVC! So i bet that if you are smiling while sleeping, you must be with a beauty then. :)

    I am glad that besides constructing CV and Cover letter, you gained alot more than what you had expected initially. You'd had been a great project mate and friend, always putting your time and efforts in completing the project despite your hectic FYP too. I must admit that this is one of the best project group i ever had in NUS and I wish to thank you and Jifang for willing to sit down on every beautiful saturday mornings for discussions. :)

    Lastly, all the best in your FYP presentation and remember to apply the pointers learnt from other course mates' presentations!

    Cheers!

    Johny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Swee Guan!

    Glad that you have enjoyed the module. First of all, no thanks needed for the editing of your blogs, I also enjoyed taking bus A1 after ES2007s lesson with you. Thanks for sharing with me your sea faring experiences.

    I'm sure you have learnt a lot and would be ready to embrace the new workplace. All the best for your future endeavours!

    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Swee Guan,

    Does anyone look at you when you sleep? (If not how do you communicate you you sleep? .. haha!)

    It was really fun having you as part of our panel, but seriously you are bad at craping. Still, I believed we all enjoyed the interview session, torturing everyone with our weird questions.

    All the best!

    Cecilia (its "i", not "e")

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Swee Guan,

    Yes, I do agree that a person's sleeping position also signifies what personality the person has. For example, if a person who tends to sleep on his stomach, his character is more towards being an introvert.

    Despite the agony of meeting every Saturday morning in NUS, there are also funny moments when we digress from what we are suppose to discuss!

    Lastly, all the best in your future endeavors!

    Ji Fang

    ReplyDelete